Thursday, November 19, 2015

Time to Spice Up Writing!

It is typical at this age to do a lot of the "I like/ I love" writing. They are at a point where they can write more than one or two sentences, but they tend to topic hop. We've talked about focusing on one topic and adding details to "spice" up our writing and make it interesting for our audience. I pulled in a former student near and dear to my heart, Milo, a second grader in Mrs. Wright's class. He mastered the spicy writing in kindergarten so I knew he was just the one for the job! I gave him the simple story "I like Thanksgiving. I love hanging out with my family and eating. I like turkey." Boy oh boy did he wow the kinder crew!!! He had history, jokes and details galore. The kiddos loved listening to him and I think (and hope) the spicy writing will be contagious around here in the near future! 

2 comments:

  1. What a clever idea to use former students to drive your lesson. Thank you for making learning fun for our kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milo could NOT have been more proud to share his efforts!

    ReplyDelete